Re: RotationTransform Neat Example Strange Result

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78979] Re: [mg78960] RotationTransform Neat Example Strange Result
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 02:43:56 -0400 (EDT)

You may have figured this out by now.  I did a quick double-take on this, too,
but it can be completely explained by the ImageSize.  If you resize either
image, you can recreate the other.  Since the FontSize of Q does not scale, the
results look very different (and quite kaleidoscopic!) at smaller image sizes.

This difference is accomplished via stylesheet.  In the Reference.nb stylesheet
(used by the documentation), the default ImageSize for Output cells is set to
Small.  In Default.nb, no explicit ImageSize is set that affects graphics, so
the global setting of Automatic is used.  For graphics, ImageSize->Automatic is
equivalent to Medium when the graphic stands alone in a cell, but shrinks down
when the window gets smaller, or when the graphic is accompanied by other items
in the cell.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com