Re: anyone tried the debugger?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78993] Re: anyone tried the debugger?
  • From: Nazdrovje <nazdrovje at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:06:01 -0400 (EDT)

Could you tell me how to use the debugger on the following?

I enabled the debugger using the "Evaluation/Debugger" menu item and
wrote Do[Print[i], {i, 10}]. Then I selected Print and pushed the
"Break at Selection" item in the debugger palette, which  provides
Print with a red box. Print also ends up in a list of breakpoints.
Putting the cursor on this line and pressing enter just executes the
line without breaking.

====
OOoooo, while playing with this example I discovered what I did wrong:
You have to select the whole function including brackets! Simply the
function name is not enough.

This is so different from common debugger behaviour (where you can
have a breakpoint at any cursor insertion point) that I think this
merits a line or two in the help text.