strange bug?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79126] strange bug?
  • From: "Jeremy Price" <cfgauss at u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 03:31:31 -0400 (EDT)

I think I've found a bug in mathematica 5.2,

In[418]:=
$Version

Out[418]=
5.2 for Microsoft Windows (June 20, 2005)

When I run, eg,

In[416]:= IntegerPart[10*5.1]

Out[416]= 51

I get what I expect.  But when I run the same thing in a loop,

For[n = 1, n < 20, n = n + .1,
  Print[n, " ", IntegerPart[10*n]]
  ]

I get output like:

>From In[415]:= 4.2 42

>From In[415]:=4.3 43

>From In[415]:=4.4 44

>From In[415]:=4.5 45

>From In[415]:=4.6 46

>From In[415]:=4.7 47

>From In[415]:=4.8 48

>From In[415]:=4.9 48

>From In[415]:=5. 49

>From In[415]:=5.1 50

>From In[415]:=5.2 51

Any idea what's going on here or how to fix it?