Mathematica, MathLink, and interfacing to external libraries

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79154] Mathematica, MathLink, and interfacing to external libraries
  • From: oshaughn <oshaughn at northwestern.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 03:16:51 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to write a simple MathLink wrapper to a complicated
scientific wrapper or two which manage complex data structures that I
can't afford Mathematica to load in full and that I want the low-level
library to continue to operate on.

I had imagined the wrapper mathematica would refer to a list of
handles, which were maintained by the wrapper C code.  Thus, for
example

    Mathematica side:   a=MLObject[indx]
                                  MLOperate[a,3,45]
    CSide:                    object_table[indx]
                                  a_hideous_function(a,3,45)

This sort of interface, with a hash or table of C-maintained data
structures, seems very vanilla...has this been implemented before?