Re: Drivers for 3DConnexions SpaceNavigator/Ball ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79263] Re: [mg79238] Drivers for 3DConnexions SpaceNavigator/Ball ?
  • From: Chris Hill <chill at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 04:26:35 -0400 (EDT)

At 03:39 AM 7/21/2007, Steve wrote:
>Has anyone found, developed, or written a driver that will allow
>Mathematica to interact with the SpaceBall and new SpaceNavigator from
>3DConnexions?  I would like to interact with my 3D graphics using the
>3DConnexions devices, though.
>
>Thank you in advance -
>Steve

You didn't mention which platform you are using, but Mathematica 6 is
able to interface with the SpaceNavigator on the Windows and Mac
platforms.  Windows support communicates with the generic driver
supplied with the device.  Mac support doesn't require any additional
software.  The ControllerInformation and ControllerState functions
are used to discover and access data from the device.

Other 3Dconnexion devices should also work on Windows, and USB
3Dconnexion devices such as the SpaceTraveler should work on
Mac.  (SpaceNavigator and SpaceTraveler are devices I've used)

The built-in support for 3D rotating graphics with controllers is
currently optimized for gamepads rather than 6DOF devices such as
those from 3Dconnexion.  You may supply more sophisticated
functionality by utilizing ControllerState and/or Manipulate.

Chris Hill
Wolfram Research