Re: truncated File -> Save As -> HTML conversion problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79307] Re: truncated File -> Save As -> HTML conversion problem
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 06:04:07 -0400 (EDT)

(M 6) In[26]:= $Version

(M 6) Out[26]= "6.0 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit) (June 19, 2007)"

I find the following:

If I execute

Export[
  "/Users/dreiss/Desktop/chris/test.html",
 CreateWindow@
  DocumentNotebook[
   Table[TextCell[ToString@i, "Text"], {i, 1, 1000}]],
 "HTML"]

then the exported html file is complete.

However, if I create the notebook

CreateWindow@
 DocumentNotebook[Table[TextCell[ToString@i, "Text"], {i, 1, 1000}]]

and then use the File>Save As menu command, and save as html, the
resulting html file is incomplete.  The number of cells that it
achieves converting to html varies each time I try it, but is around
600.

Some other comments.  If I use the SaveAs html menu item, and then
attempt to save the notebook again as html over the original file,
mathematica tells me that Export (which, of course is behind the Save
As command) cannot open the html file that I am trying to save to.

If one goes to that file, deletes it (ie throws it into the trash) and
then tries to empty the trash, the OS tells one that the file is stil
in use.

Aparently Mathematica still has the file open and so, the OS lets us
know that it is still in use.

This is an old old bug that I think(but am not sure) that I reported
somewhere in prehistory.  The File>Save AS>html approach to html
conversion appears to not properly dispose of its connection to the
file that it is exporting to.

So, perhaps these multiple issues are connected in some way.

Since WRI reads these postings very diligently, I will assume that
this is a bug report and not submit it through ohter venues.

I think that the lesson here is that for real production work, one
should use Export directly rather than the less versatile menu command
approach.

--David
A WorkLife FrameWork
The first Mathematica-6 compatible add on
http://scientificarts.com/worklife