[Mathematica 6] spurious $Aborted messages. How to track down cause?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79472] [Mathematica 6] spurious $Aborted messages. How to track down cause?
  • From: Nasser Abbasi <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 05:58:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hello;

One of the most annoying things I find is that sometimes I get an
$Aborted message from the kernel during long computation, but no idea
why and from where. There are no error messages in the 'message'
window either.

This happens in this context: I use Manipulate, and in my code (which
Manipulate calls), I do long computation, then once in a while I see
an $Aborted message show up where the plot should show up.  This
happens when I set the length of computation to be larger. when 'n' is
small, this does not seem to happen.

I do not think this is a memory problem.  The code runs correctly, but
once 'n' becomes large I see this message pop up, and it happens at
different stages.

Any idea what could be going on? Could Manipulate have some timing
limitation on how long the kernel is kept busy while the interface is
waiting for the result back?

I can put link to my notebook which shows the problem.

thanks,
Nasser