MathGroup Archive 2007

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

No error message?

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79451] No error message?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 05:47:36 -0400 (EDT)

OK, this is for the geniuses who pushed me in the right direction on the 2D heat equation:

D[u[x, y, t], t]*densitymix*cpmix == Gen[t] + conductivitymix*D[u[x, y, t], {x, 2}] + conductivitymix*D[u[x, y, t], {y, 2}]

This works brilliantly, and I can solve this for a Gen[t] term which is merely time dependent (in any degree of complexity).  However,  I'd like Gen[t] to be a function of u[0,0,t] (the centerline temperature at a given time).  For instance

Gen[t_]:= Cons*Exp[-Ea/(R*u[0,0,t])]

While this is not exactly the form (it's much longer and hideous), it's the general idea.  Of course, I correctly define Cons, Ea, and R prior to evaluation, I define my Gen[t_] the normal way, and when I run NDSolve on the following:

sol = NDSolve[{D[u[x, y, t], t]*densitymix*cpmix == Re[Gen[t]] + conductivitymix*D[u[x, y, t], {x, 2}] + conductivitymix*D[u[x, y, t], {y, 2}], u[x, y, 0] == 278.15,u[-1, y, t] == 278.15, u[1, y, t] == 278.15, u[x, -1, t] == 278.15,u[x, 1, t] == 278.15}, {u[x, y, t]}, {t, 0, 10}, {x, -1,1}, {y, -1, 1}, PrecisionGoal -> 4,AccuracyGoal -> 4]

I get two errors:
NDSolve::rdelay: -- Message text not found -- (t) >>
NDSolve::rdelay: -- Message text not found -- (t) >>

Just FYI: My generation term gives complex parts (although they are effectively zero), which is why I'm extracting the reals.

I've googled this error, and I understand it's something wrong with my input, but I don't know how to tell mathematica that I want the generation term (which is really only a function of time, although it depends on u[x,y,t]).  

Your help is much appreciated.  I'm happy to post the whole worksheet if necessary.

Thanks so much,
Mike Eaton

• Prev by Date: Re: Re: Searching list for closest match to p
  • Next by Date: Re: Letting functions not evaluate
  • Previous by thread: Re: Love and Tensor Algebra
  • Next by thread: Workbench 1.1 start up bomb