Re: [Mathematica 6] spurious $Aborted messages. How to track down

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79537] Re: [Mathematica 6] spurious $Aborted messages. How to track down
  • From: Albert <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 05:46:02 -0400 (EDT)

Nasser Abbasi wrote:
> Hello;
>
> One of the most annoying things I find is that sometimes I get an
> $Aborted message from the kernel during long computation, but no idea
> why and from where. There are no error messages in the 'message'
> window either.
>
> This happens in this context: I use Manipulate, and in my code (which
> Manipulate calls), I do long computation, then once in a while I see
> an $Aborted message show up where the plot should show up.  This
> happens when I set the length of computation to be larger. when 'n' is
> small, this does not seem to happen.
>
> I do not think this is a memory problem.  The code runs correctly, but
> once 'n' becomes large I see this message pop up, and it happens at
> different stages.
>
> Any idea what could be going on? Could Manipulate have some timing
> limitation on how long the kernel is kept busy while the interface is
> waiting for the result back?

indeed that is the case. Point the Documentation Center to:

tutorial/IntroductionToDynamic

and look for the section: 'Slow Evaluations inside Dynamic'

which explains the phenomen.

tutorial/AdvancedManipulateFunctionality

section: 'Dealing with Slow Evaluations'

which explains in more depth what is going on (let that be: what my
guess is that goes on...)

hth,

albert

PS: It has been mentioned that one can change the frontend option
DynamicEvaluationTimeout (which unfortunatly seems to be documented only
as a side note?). On my machine it is set to 6. which does not look like
5 Seconds to me which is the documented timeout. Does anyone know have
an explanation for what values/units are used here?