v6: weird cursor behaviour

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77199] v6: weird cursor behaviour
  • From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 06:55:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

My original post never made it through, so I'm reposting my problem. I
get very weird behaviour when using the up/down arrow keys that is
quite inconsistent.

For example, at the moment, I can open a new document, paste in the
following text to create a cell:

a := 1
b := 1
c := 1
d := 1
e := 1
f := 1
g := 1

evaluate it by hitting enter, then click at the end of line "a", hit
the down arrow twice -- and the cursor will jump to the end of line
"g". Hitting up twice brings the cursor to the beginning of line "f",
and then up again takes the cursor back *down* to the end of line "g".

(Skip this paragraph if you don't care for further descriptions of
weird behaviour.)
Then pressing down to exit the cell, then left to get the cursor back
to the end of line "g" resets the cursor behaviour, and I can use any
combination of up and down arrow presses to move one line up and down
as I would expect. But then clicking the mouse to move the cursor to
the end of any of the lines makes a double tap of either the up and
down arrow keys take the cursor to the end of the cell, rather than
just up or down a single line.

I know it's hard to describe here, but I don't have the facilities
here to make a video screen grab.

It's all very strange. Can anyone else confirm this behaviour, or is
it somehow specific to my machine?
I'm running Mathematica v6 on Windows XP sp2.

Many thanks,
Will