Slide presentation examples (v6)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77521] Slide presentation examples (v6)
  • From: grenander at gmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 01:15:56 -0400 (EDT)

For presentations, I currently use LaTeX and the class Beamer. The
output is a PDF I can page through using forward and back keys on a
pointer. The presentations contain mostly figures, some formulas and
text. I would like to add animation, sounds, Manipulate[]-able
figures. I would like to do this entirely in Mathematica and in the
notebook interface rather than a PDF.

Does anyone have an example of a presentation they have given in this
way that they could share? There are many sample presentations others
have made with LaTeX and it is an easy way to learn how to do it
yourself. I haven't been able to find similar sample presentations
done with Mathematica.

I've read some posts on this forum on this topic, but I haven't seen
any examples that are similar to a traditional powerpoint
presentation. I've also read the technotes:

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/TechNotes/5299/

and checked out very nice presentation materials from others given
using Mathematica. See for example, Roman Maeder's:

http://www.mathconsult.ch/math/stuff/

and Paul Abbott's (who replied to a similar post a while back):

http://internal.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul/teaching.html

But these are not in the form of a traditional slide presentation. I
am asking this in the most naive possible way (I am new to
Mathematica). How am I supposed to stand in front of an audience with
my pointer and go through these presentations (without using a
keyboard and mouse to expand cells, shift enter, etc)?

Apparently all the presentations at the Mathematica conferences are
done in Mathematica. Maybe that would be a good place to look. Are any
old presentations available online? All I've seen are videos of Steven
Wolfram presenting his book, but he doesn't appear to be using a
Mathematica notebook to present his slides.

Thanks.