SingularityDepth option to NIntegrate in Mathematica 6

I note that SingularityDepth is coloured red when used as an option to
NIntegrate in version 6, and that that option is no longer documented.
I assume it has no effect now. However, Mathematica does not consider
it an error to set e.g. SingularityDepth->10. Can someone explain
about this option? Specifically:

Does setting the value of SingularityDepth have any effect?

Why is the SingularityDepth option no longer required / useful?