Re: v6: still no multiple undo?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg77577] Re: v6: still no multiple undo?
  • From: David <habud at>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:32:14 -0400 (EDT)

Szabolcs wrote:
> DrMajorBob wrote:
>> If I have useful stuff in a cell, but I need to edit it, and I'm afraid I
>> might delete things I need, add things I don't need, change things that
>> are already perfect... well...
>> I just copy the cell and paste it above or below, and I edit the copy,
>> leaving the original alone!
> And what if you are a bit tired, and press ctrl-v instead of ctrl-c by
> accident? V is right next to C on an English keyboard. Then you are
> exactly one keystroke away from loosing the contents of the cell.
> Undo is not some kind of version control, it is there for undoing
> mistakes.  I don't understand why are some people arguing so strongly
> against it.  Saying that multiple undo (simple *editor undo*, not
> something interacting with the kernel) is a waste of resources is simply
> nonsense, especially if single-level undo is already implemented.
> The Mathematica front end is probably the last editor in the 21st
> century that still does not support multiple undos.  If you have never
> made any stupid mistake that could have been easily undone in 2 or 3
> steps then I envy you, but it does not make things better for the rest
> of us.

You're right on. I'm amazed that anyone would argue against a
multi-level undo for notebook input text corrections. Especially, that
it would take processor time away from the CPU or development time away
from the developers. I don't think anyone is suggesting multi-level undo
for input and output. I use some drawing/image processing apps that do
muli-level undo on very complicated images with "no problemo". Seems
like this would be a piece of cake challenge for the wizards at Wolfram.