  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg77759] StringReplace
  • From: Bruce Colletti <vze269bv at>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:26:55 -0400 (EDT)

Re Mathematica 6.0 under WinXP.

Create variable X by:

- Punching the summation button in the BasicMathInputPalette

- Filling in the blanks:  index i goes from 1 to n, with term f[i]

- Enclose the whole thing between double quotes, thus making X a string variable (or so I thought)

Now I want to replace n by 3, and so enter:

The output includes a pink box that replaces the sigma and its bounds.  Thankfully, the f[i] appears.

What causes this output and how can I get X to appear, although with n replaced by 3?