Re: Notebook History -- what is it good for?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77774] Re: Notebook History -- what is it good for?
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:34:36 -0400 (EDT)

There are a variety of uses for this feature.  One simply is that is
showcases a number of FrontEnd technologies at work since it is built
entirely with top level Mathematica code.

Internal to the notebook cells have the option CellChangeTimes (as
long as the notebook has the option Track CellChangeTimes->True which
is the default).  And it is these data that are used to track the
notebook's evolving state.

When a notebook gets very large though the Notebook History notebook
has a hard time keeping up with the current state of the notebook. For
this reason, it might not be as useful without the addition of a means
to turn off its Dynamic updating and only display the notebook's state
when specifically asked by the user.  I think that this would
generally be a better default state (or something like this).

I agree that use of this as a means of verifying Intellectual property
creation might be useful.  But I don't belive that the US Patent
Office yet recognizes any electronic means of date stamping material.
However, I suspect that it could still be used in some fashion along
traditional countersigned with print outs of the material.

In A WorkLIfe FrameWork Diaries are tagged automatically as to when
they were modified (even in Mathematica version 5.x) and one of the
intentions of this was to be able to use them as laboratory
notebooks.  But a broader intention is that it allows me to locate
cells by their tags (I use CellTags rather than CellChangeTimes
because it allows me to associate a variety of dates with the cell and
its content).

Also in A WorkLIfe FrameWork Diaries there has been a facility similar
to the V6 Notebook History menu item in A WorkLIfe FrameWork's
Analytics Palette:

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/documentation/analyticspalette.html

In fact, this was the possible origin of the  V6 Notebook History menu
item.

An example of my use of this is to see when I have interacted with a
particular WorkLife FrameWork Diary or Notebook.  If the Diary is one
that I have created to keep items associated with a particular client,
for example, then this allows me to see at a glance when I worked on
things having to do with that client.

Also, once when I was looking at the history of the notebook that I
was writing the code for A WorkLIfe FrameWork  in (and autosave
package), I noticed that there was a big gap in when I added new
material to the notebook.  I wondered about this and then realized
that that was the time interval during which I was writing the
documentation.

So, things like this are one sort of tool for mining one's personal
data.

It is important to remember and realize that Mathematica is not just a
technical computation tool in the traditional sense, it is a System.
And within the system one can make tools that extend considerably
beyond the conventional.  I wanted to catalyze new directions in this
by creating A WorkLIfe FrameWork...

Tagging of all sorts is a very powerful way to work within a notebook
and to selectively locate and extract content.

see

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/documentation/taggingpalette.html

and

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/screencasts/tagging.mov