Re: Mathematica 6 and normal distribution?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg77961] Re: Mathematica 6 and normal distribution?
  • From: sean_incali <sean_incali at>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 05:42:23 -0400 (EDT)

I got the following email from Daniel Lichtblau of Wolfram in response
to my post.  I figured it will be useful for everyone.

> Has Mathematica 6 fixed the problems discussed in this thread?
>>From their website it seems like they are saying NormalDistribution
> new in Mathematica 6.
> Has anyone run the codes to check?  Last time the problem was in the
> 25th bin in the code below--with the value at 25th bin being lower
> than the rest.
> SeedRandom[1111111 ];
> vec1=Table[Random[Real,{0,1000}],{10^6}];
> vec2=Map[If[#<44,1,0]&,vec1];
> ones=Flatten[Position[vec2,1]];
> plotvec=Map[Length,Split[Sort[Drop[ones-RotateRight[ones,1],1]]]];
> ListPlot[Log[plotvec],PlotRange->All]
> ListPlot[plotvec,PlotRange->All]
> Thanks for checking.

Random[] still exists for legacy purposes, and uses the same sometimes
problematic generators. If you use

then the problem goes away in version 6.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research