Rules for $Assumptions changed in v6.0 ???

With ref to my previous post above, "Same Limit...", I
received an offline communication with a far different
form of assumption. However, I can find nowhere in the
v6.0 documentation (such as it is) that shows any change
from the way the global $Assumptions (or local) function
has changed from v5.2 to v6.0.

Perhaps some kind soul can explain to me why using
global $Assumptions works in 5.2 for 'Limit' function,
and not in v6.0? And maybe, where is the documentation
reference?

jrc