Re: problem For with GraphPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78086] Re: problem For with GraphPlot
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:48:34 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/21/07 at 6:02 AM, christophe.lucarz at epfl.ch (Christophe Lucarz)
wrote:

>When I do this : GraphPlot[g], it draws correctly the graph When I
>want to iterate the drawing of the same graph 4 times, it doesn't
>work : For[i = 0, i < 4, i++, GraphPlot[g]]

I assume you are using version 6. In this case you need to
explicitly Print the graph i.e.,

For[i = 0, i < 4, i++, Print@GraphPlot[g]]

Note, while this does work, in general it isn't a good idea to
use For loops in Mathematica. They tend to be much slower than
other means of creating the same output

For example, consider

In[12]:= sum = 0;
Timing[For[i = 0, i <= 100000, i++, sum += i]; sum]

Out[13]= {0.946288,5000050000}

versus

In[11]:= Timing[Plus @@ Range[100000]]

Out[11]= {0.119796,5000050000}

For doing the same thing several times where the value of the
counter isn't used in the loop such as your particular example
using Table would be better, i.e.,

Table[GraphPlot[g],{4}]

And if you don't want the output as a list, use GraphicsRow,
GraphicsColumn or TableForm