Wish for undo feature applied to Format -> Style

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78197] Wish for undo feature applied to Format -> Style
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:07:46 -0400 (EDT)

Though there has been some debate recently about the Undo feature in
Mathematica, I have a wish which I hope trickles up (or down, or around) to
the developers: Allow me to undo the style formatting of a cell or cells.
   At least in
$Version
"6.0 for Linux x86 (32-bit) (April 20, 2007)"
if I accidentally change the style of a cell (or a group of cells) into
(say) "Section", there is often considerable reformatting done, which cannot
be undone. Even more annoyingly, if I accidentally select a cell which
contains several other cells (rather than just the "label" at the top of a
group of cells), and choose a format, this format is applied to all of the
subcells, almost always to my great disappointment. If I've made the great
mistake of not saving the notebook recently, I either have to go through each
cell, determine whether it should be "Subsection" or "text" or "input", etc.,
and change them manually, or close the notebook without saving, and reopen,
trying to remember what content changes I just made.

   As far as I know, the question of undoing evaluations (and the resulting
_content_ changes of output cells) doesn't have anything to do with this
issue. This is all front-end stuff.

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10