Re: search for an operator in an expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78281] Re: search for an operator in an expression
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 05:34:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

you must distinguish between OutputFormat, what you see, and FullForm,

what Mathematica sees. Try: FullForm[yourExpression] then you will see

that you have 1 operator Plus with multiple arguments. If you want to

see the number of arguments, you could e.g. use:

Cases[expression, Plus[x__] :> Length[x]]

hope this helps, Daniel

rob wrote:

> Sir, I tried your suggestion as follows:

> expr = 2 + a*Exp[-b x] + Sin[c + b] + d

> Count[expr, HoldPattern[Plus[__]], Infinity]

> which gives a result of "1". I count 4 "+" in expr. Please,

> what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

> dh wrote:

>> Hi Daniel,

>> you may use "Count". Take care to search on all "levels" and prevent

>> evaluation of the operator. Asssuming your expression is in: expr, e.g.:

>> Count[expr, HoldPattern[ Plus[__] ], Infinity]

>> hope this helps, Daniel

>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Is there a way to search for an operator in a symbolic expression? My wish is to show that there is only "+" in a very large expression. Rather than showing an expression on multiple pages I would like to perform a search that shows there is only "+" between the terms. Converting to a string does not seem to work since the expression is written on multiple lines(fractions, exponents etc..)

>>> Thanks