Re: Hold and Equal

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg73834] Re: Hold and Equal
  • From: Peter Pein <petsie at>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 06:23:46 -0500 (EST)

Murray Eisenberg schrieb:
> OK, that does what I explicitly asked for, but what I asked for was an
> oversimplified case of what I actually wanted...
> Moreover, if I try, say,
>    step[Hold[Integrate[x^2,x]]]
> then Hold appears on both sides of the resulting equality.
> What I'm after is something that will allow me to show an equation of
> the form, say,
>      integral = evaluatedIntegral
> where the left-hand side uses the integral sign and a "dx" (as an
> unevaluated expression), the right-hand side evaluates that integral,
> and the entire expression appears in traditional mathematical form.

And the attribute HoldAll (or HoldFirst) doesn't work in your version?

(the HoldForm can be seen, because I converted output to InputForm before
copy/paste). It is invisible in the Notebook when using Standard- or

step[Integrate[x^2, x]]

--> HoldForm[x^3/3 = x^3/3]

SetAttributes[step, HoldAll]
step[Integrate[x^2, x]]