Bug with Limit?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73866] Bug with Limit?
  • From: Sergio Miguel Terrazas Porras <sterraza at uacj.mx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 06:34:12 -0500 (EST)

Hi guys,

I was teaching a class and was discussing discontinuous functions.
We came across f(x) = Abs(x)/x, and g(x) = 1/(x-3).
The first does not have a limit as x -> 0 and the second does not have a
limit as x -> 3.
The unilateral limits of both are different.
When I specified the direction, Mathematica 5.1 gave the correct answer.
However, when no direction was specified, Mathematica 5.1 gave (seemingly)
by default the value of de right handside limit.

This is plain wrong, and could lead to problems, specially for a student.
Any comments?

Thank you.
Sergio Terrazas