Re: Limit of Floor function

Eric Smith wrote:
> Mathematica 5.2 evaluates one-sided limits of the Floor function
> correctly.  But if I just ask:
>
>    Limit[Floor[x],x->10]
>
> It replies "10".  Shouldn't it tell me the limit is undefined,
> since the Floor function has a step discontinuity at every integer
> value?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Limit does not check both sides of the required value. You should
manually check the limit on the left and on the right.

In[1]:=
Limit[Floor[x], x -> 10]

Out[1]=
10

(* Limit on the right *)

In[2]:=
Limit[Floor[x], x -> 10, Direction -> -1]

Out[2]=
10

(* Limit on the left *)

In[3]:=
Limit[Floor[x], x -> 10, Direction -> 1]

Out[3]=
9

Regards,
Jean-Marc