Re: Rigid body equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74027] Re: Rigid body equations
  • From: Oliver Ruebenkoenig <ruebenko at uni-freiburg.de>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 05:34:11 -0500 (EST)

Robert,

perhaps the IMS can be of  assistance. I was involved in writing a small
circuit simulator. Now that is not what you want but during the
development process we created quite a lot of infrastructure that you
might gonna need.
(For circuit examples see:
http://www.imtek.uni-freiburg.de/simulation/mathematica/IMSweb/imsTOC/Application%20Examples/Electrical%20Circuits/index.html)

The idea is the following: We have a procedure (imsMakeLumpedSystem)
http://www.imtek.uni-freiburg.de/simulation/mathematica/IMSweb/imsTOC/Differential%20Equation%20Systems/Discretization/LumpedSystemDocu.html
which gets as an input a circuit (but this could well be a mechanical
system) and then produces the system of equations describing this circuit.
If you are interested in extending this you just have to extend the rules
by which the elements like masses dampers and so forth are handled. In
other word you have to write a mechanics element library. Something like:
http://www.imtek.uni-freiburg.de/simulation/mathematica/IMSweb/imsTOC/Computational%20Geometry/Graphs/CircuitElementLibraryDocu.html

A disadvantage is currently that it is not easy to store sub-systems. But
this is not an unsolvable problem.

Also you have available time integrators and model order reduction.

oliver

  Oliver Ruebenkoenig, <ruebenko AT uni-freiburg.de>