Re: SphericalPlot3D doesn't work

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg74280] Re: SphericalPlot3D doesn't work
  • From: "Sebastian Meznaric" <meznaric at>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 03:21:35 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 15, 5:20 pm, David <dja.mckec... at> wrote:
> SphericalPlot3D doesn't work for me.
> I HAVE loaded the graphics package. it just returns the same input as though I am defining a function:
> IN: << Graphics`ParametricPlot3D`
>     SphericalPlot3D[2, {theta, 0, Pi}, {phi, -Pi, Pi}]
> OUT: SphericalPlot3D[2, {theta, 0, Pi}, {phi, -Pi, Pi}]
> I've seen that other people have had this problem but I haven't seen a solution anywhere.
> Please help, cheers,
> Dave

Instead of using the SphericalPlot, try using the ParametricPlot3D.
You can do it in this way (assuming theta is longitudinal and phi is
{theta, 0, Pi}, {phi, 0, 2*Pi}]

This will create a point distance f away. Works nice for plotting
spherical harmonics, although you might want to adjust the PlotPoints
parameter to get nice looking results.