Re: Keyboard shortcut to select the entire cell

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg74434] Re: Keyboard shortcut to select the entire cell
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 02:50:11 -0500 (EST)

siewsk at wrote:
> In windows XP using Mathematica 5.2
> How do I select the entire cell while I am in that cell?
> I tried CTRL-A but that selected the entire notebook instead.
A menu item is as good because (at least under Windows and LINUX) it is
possible to access a menu item using a mnemonic. It is possible to add
items to the file MENUSETUP.TR, for example, I use

Item["Select &Cell",FrontEndExecute[
                            ], MenuEvaluator->Automatic],

The interesting thing about this code is that it selects the whole cell
even if the cell bracket is not visible.

*However* be very careful before you edit this file - take a backup! You
must close Mathematica and restart it to pick up the modified file. If
you get the modification wrong, Mathematica just refuses to start - so
take care!

Note also that MENUSETUP.TR does not seem to accept certain operators -
such as '=' - hence the explicit use of Set.

David Bailey