Advice for writing small Scheme interpreter

I need to write a very small Scheme interpreter in Mathematica to
complete my project.

How can I stop Mathematica from evaluating statements so that they can
be parsed in their raw form by the interpreter code.

For example I don't want (+ 7 8) converted into 56 before I can parse
it.