Re: Symbolic Calculations with Matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74602] Re: Symbolic Calculations with Matrices
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:38:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi Sameer,

your question is not very clear, but it all smells very much like

discrete FFT. Therefore, I assume you want to calculate the FFT of a

given finite time series f[[i]]. Well this is, besides normalization issues:

Sum[f[[i]] Exp[-2 Pi I j i /n],{i,0,n-1}]

This can efficiently be calculated by a dot product of f with:

kernel[j_]:=Table[Exp[- 2 Pi I i j/n],{i,0,n-1}]

The FFT at j can then be obtained by: kernel[j].f

Or we can calculate the whole transformation matrix at once by:

fftmat=Table[kernel[j],{j,0,n-1}]

and obtain the fft of f by: fftmat.f

Daniel