Re: Creating boxes in text cells.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75552] Re: Creating boxes in text cells.
  • From: Albert <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 05:56:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'm not sure whether I understood your question in details but the
following menu entries might be of interest:

> Is there a way I can get "Cell[BoxData[FormBox["\[Placeholder]",
> TraditionalForm]]]" to appear on at the entry cursor using a key
> combination similar to what happens if I type `Ctrl+^'?

Edit -> Expression Input -> Start Inline Cell (Ctrl+9 on Windows)

will insert an inline Cell, which looks and behaves like what I think
you want, except that there is no Placeholder...

> If I type out the \!(...\) representation, it does not "snap into place" as
> rendered text.  Nor do I know of any way to persuade it to do so.
>
> Also, if I have already typed something such as "y=x", and decide I want it
> displayed as expression text rather than raw text, is there a way to
> highlight it, and "wrap" it in the appropriate boxes?

select it as usual (mouse or keyboard), then use: Cell -> Convert To ->
TraditionalForm (Ctrl+Shift+T on Windows) will wrap the inline Cell
around the selection...

hth,

albert