Re: can I keep old version running after update to Ver 6?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75743] Re: [mg75684] can I keep old version running after update to Ver 6?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 04:43:32 -0400 (EDT)

Keeping the old version around while you're transitioning to version 6 is a fine
idea, and you shouldn't experience any problems.  Many of us here at WRI (myself
included) keep many old versions of Mathematica installed simultaneously with
the new ones.

The principle different you might notice is that double-clicking notebook files
to open them will cause them to open in version 6 (at least under Windows...I'm
not fully certain whether the behavior is as predictable on Mac).

Also, under Windows, if you uninstall 5.1 after you've installed version 6, you
may find that you've lost the file associations so that .nb files don't open
correctly when double-clicked in the Explorer (but they'll open fine from the
Open dialog).  But you shouldn't experience any other issues.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group