Re: Making sense of Directive[ ]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg75813] Re: [mg75776] Making sense of Directive[ ]
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 05:25:54 -0400 (EDT)

The docs give some good examples of one use of Directive: to avoid
nested graphics directives.  Thus the example

from the "home page" of Directive, although wordier, is to my eye
easier to read than the equivalent:

The longer and more numerous the directives are for the various elements
of a plot or graphic, the more useful Directive becomes in untangling
the syntax for the eye.

Forex Ample wrote:
> I stumbled upon the new Directive[ ] function, used to group Graphics
> directives into one compound directive. However, I fail to see what it is
> good for. In every example in the documentation, replacing Directive with
> List seems to produce the exact same results. Anybody got a clue?
> Greetz, Naz

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305