MathGroup Archive 2007

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

interpolation look-up table?

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75877] interpolation look-up table?
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 03:13:25 -0400 (EDT)

I'm a biologist with some knowledge of simulation in mathematica. I work with a mathematician and he asked me to use an interpolation look-up table to solve the following problem in mathematica:

I have a rate equation in terms of three variables S1 and S2 and n1.

The rate will change when any of them changes, but we fixed S1 and S2 and approximated the rate into a polynomial (in terms of n1 only) for easier calculations. After further calculations, the new rate, which is an approximation of the initial rate, is in terms of a new variable q related to n1.

The idea here is that the new rate equation is a function of q, but I need to be able to change the values of S1 and S2 too and see what happens.  The mathematician suggested an interpolation look-up table. I think he said something about it taking samples from how the initial rate changes with S1 or S2 and do the whole calculation to get the rate as a function of q and recalculate every time S1 or S2 changes. I think that's what he meant. Can someone give me an example of how to do that in mathematica or at least point me in the right direction? If someone is interested in the details, I can email you the notebook. I hope someone can help.  Any input is appreciated.

• Prev by Date: Re: Can one retain ver 5.1 if downloading ver 6.0?
  • Next by Date: Re: graphing curves in the complex plane
  • Previous by thread: Re: Mathematica 6.0 - Legend
  • Next by thread: Adding a value to the cell of a matrix