Re: Compatibility woes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76139] Re: Compatibility woes
  • From: Mark Adler <madler at alumni.caltech.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 05:51:27 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to Bhuvanesh, I got the package to load (by being explicit
about Developer` for those functions, instead of declaring it as
Needed in the BeginPackage[]).  So then I discover that Compile[] no
longer works in 6.0 the same as it did in 5.2.  I replaced it with
Function[], modifying the arguments appropriately, and the package
works, albeit slower than before.

So that's yet another thing that worked just peachy in 5.2, but no
longer works in 6.0.  I doubt that I have plumbed the depths of the
incompatibilities, since the rate of discovery is not decreasing.

Mark Adler

For the curious, the errors look like:

CompiledFunction::cfse: Compiled expression
    MarsKSAM`Private`base[MarsKSAM`Private`k][-1.05] should be a
    machine-size real number. More...

CompiledFunction::cfex: External evaluation error at instruction 87;
    proceeding with uncompiled evaluation. More...

This all worked perfectly in 5.2.