Re: TeXForm and custom LaTeX macros

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76192] Re: TeXForm and custom LaTeX macros
  • From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:10:03 -0400 (EDT)

On May 16, 7:32 pm, Will Robertson <wsp... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not having much luck customising the output from TeXForm. I'm a
> bit of a new user of Mathematica, I'm afraid.

I've found a little more in the tutorial on using Format[], but the
information it gives is wrong. Here's what it says:

>  In[11]:= Format[x, TeXForm] := "{\\bf x}"
>
>  The output format for x that you specified is now used whenever the TeX form is needed.
>
>  In[12]:= TeXForm[1 + x^2]
>  Out[12]//TeXForm=
>  x^2+1

First of all, the TeXForm[1+x^2] shows no difference in formatting
than if the Format[] was omitted. Secondly, when we change the example
as follows

>  In[6]:= TeXForm[x]
>
>  Out[6]//TeXForm=
>  \text{$\{\backslash \backslash $bf x$\}$}

This is clearly not the intention of the original Format[] (and still
the same doubled \backslash, if you even wanted one in the first
place).

So I guess this whole thing isn't working as it's supposed to in
version 6 (dunno about older versions).

Will