Re: Mouse movement speeds up and CityData Help Doesn't

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76217] Re: [mg76197] Mouse movement speeds up and CityData Help Doesn't
  • From: "Igor C. Antonio" <igora at wolf-ram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 06:03:30 -0400 (EDT)

Uncle Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Overall, I am very impressed with mathematica 6.0.  There are a few
> gotchas for old users.  Watch out for Show[].  It scales to the first
> plot and will truncate based on order!!!  Still, the plotting is
> excellent, just use PlotRange->All.
>
> First question is why does my mouse slow down when using Mathematica
> and them speed up later?
>
> Second, I can't get the example stuff under ref/CityData to execute.
> Particularly...
>
> ListLogPlot[
>  Reverse[Sort[
>      CityData[#, "Population"] & /@
>       CityData[{All, #}]]] & /@ {"Alabama", "Alaska", "Arizona",
>    "Arkansas", "California"}]
>
> and
>
> ListPlot3D[{CityData[#, "Longitude"], CityData[#, "Latitude"],
>     CityData[#, "Elevation"]} & /@ CityData[{All, "Colorado"}],
>  ColorFunction -> "Topographic", MeshFunctions -> {#3 &}]
>
> I have Internet access and it show download progressing.  Is there
> somewhere we can get the source DVD?  I'd give up 4.7GB to have
> encyclopedia Mathematica on my computer ;)
>
> For those who haven't tried Mathematica.  Now is the time.  It is MUCH
> better than before.  The inconsistencies are dissapearing.  Very nice
> job Wolfram and company.
>
> Thanks for anyone who can help!
> Paul

Paul,

CityData[{All, "<state>"}] is not.  You need to also specify the country
when using All.

CityData[{All, #, "UnitedStates"}]& /@ {...}

This works:

ListPlot3D[{CityData[#, "Longitude"], CityData[#, "Latitude"],
     CityData[#, "Elevation"]} & /@ CityData[{All, "Colorado",
"UnitedStates"}],
  ColorFunction -> "Topographic", MeshFunctions -> {#3 &}]

--
Igor C. Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.