Re: Re: Where is the Mathematica Book in Documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76251] Re: [mg76200] Re: [mg75987] Where is the Mathematica Book in Documentation
  • From: "Igor C. Antonio" <igora at wolf-ram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 06:21:14 -0400 (EDT)

Mark Adler wrote:
> Igor,
>
> Thank you for your comments.  I would like to do some comparisons of
> the old and new help.  So ...
>
> Can 5.2 and 6.0 installations coexist on the same machine (within a
> single instantiation of an operating system on that machine) and work
> independently?  If so, is there a way for me to download the 5.2
> package again so I can reinstall it?  (Like an idiot, I deleted the
> old installation package once the new version appeared to be
> working.)  Then I can compare directly the help functions in each.  I
> don't want to make claims from my faulty memory about things that I
> think were in the 5.2 help.

Yes, they can co-exist.  I have all versions of Mathematica installed
since 4.2, for example.  You do have to keep in mind where you install
your packages:  A package that is only compatible with V5.2 and earlier,
when installed in $UserBaseDirectory/Applications/, will be available to
both V6.0 as well.  Same applies to things in $UserBaseDirectory/Autoload.

As far as how to actually install V5.2 again, you will have to contact
Technical Support to obtain a copy of the installation disc / files if
you don't have one.

Disclaimer:  I don't know much about the licensing details of running
both V5.2 and V6.0, so check with them.

Thanks,

Igor

--
Igor C. Antonio
Software Technology

To email me personally, remove the dash.