Accessing network devices in v6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76413] Accessing network devices in v6.0
  • From: "Patrick Scheibe" <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 02:38:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

is there any change in the user/password behavior when
accessing network devices in windows in Mathematica version 6.0?

In[96]:= $Version
Out[96]= "6.0 for Microsoft Windows (32-bit) (April 20, 2007)"

It seems that I have to give the username and password again even though
I'm already loged in on the network device.

The behaviour is the following: When I want to open a file which is on the
network then I can't access the directory without giving the passwort. The
username/passwort combination is the same I use in windows. Therefore the
network authentication is always done automatically and Mathematica 5.2 has
no problems with it.

In the "open file" dialog I'm prompted to authenticate myself.
After I gave my passwort I can open the file and I can access every file
with e.g.

FileNames["*", {"\\\\path\\to\\network"}]

What doesn't work, even after giving the passwort is the access over the
windows network device letter

FileNames["*", {"Z:"}]

Does anyone have a clue?

Cheers