What to do in v. 6 in place of Miscellaneous`RealOnly

Suppose my calculus students want to plot x^(1/3), for say {x,-8,8}. The
problem, of course, is that Mathematica returns complex roots for x<0.
In past versions of Mathematica, we could get the desired real roots
(and plot the function) by loading the package Miscellaneous`RealOnly. I
guess we can still do it that way (and ignore the "obsolete package"
message), but is there a suggested way of doing what we need in 6.0?

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont