UpValues and exponents

Hello,

I have three functions, aa, bb, and ab and I want to be able to
combine
together aa and bb as follows: aa[x, y] bb[y, z] -> ab[x, z].  I use
the
following definition to do it

aa /: aa[u__, v_] bb[v_, z__] := ab[u, v, z];

and in general it works well.  However, when the functions aa and/or
bb
have exponents it doesn't work anymore.

Anybody has any ideas about how to generalise the definition to make
it work?

PS: I'm using Mathematica v4.1