Re: Re: What to do in v. 6 in place of Miscellaneous`RealOnly

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76772] Re: [mg76731] Re: What to do in v. 6 in place of Miscellaneous`RealOnly
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 04:52:35 -0400 (EDT)

You've stumbled upon a long-standing problem I've faced with using
Mathematica in an academic setting (or perhaps any setting) where
systems are locked down by the folks whom maintain the systems: how to
handle 3rd-party add-on packages.

In my own experience, getting the packages installed on the students'
own machines is not that big a deal provided the zip file (or whatever)
is properly assembled and the instructions are sufficiently clear and
the students are able to follow direction.  (Hmm...the last IS a bit of
a problem: if only students read directions as carefully as I wrote them!)

The real problem resides with lab & classroom computers. Given
sufficient advance notice, of course, such packages can be incorporated
into the standard software on the systems. (At my own institution, any
package needed for the September semester needs to be in the hands of
the IT folks no later than July 1, and preferably earlier; for the
Spring semester, no later than Thanksgiving. This is a real pain.)

I don't have a good solution to this.  Perhaps somebody at Wolfram
Research will look into it.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305