Re: Re: asymptotics

On 29 May 2007, at 17:57, dimitris wrote:

> for something like the following what you would say
>
> convert(log(x)*BesselJ(0,x)/sin(x^2),MeijerG);

Clearly this would be hard to implement in Mathematica since it likes
to convert the MeijerG function into other generalized functions
whenever it can:

  MeijerG[{{}, {}}, {{v}, {-v}}, z]

  BesselJ[2*v, 2*Sqrt[z]]

  MeijerG[{{1/2, 1/2}, {}}, {{0}, {0}}, x]
2*EllipticK[-x]

(all taken from the documentation).  Most (or perhaps all) CAS  in
performing "simplifications"  make use of "standard forms" of
expressions. In some cases Mathematica converts expressions into
standard form immediately on evaluation. This can have substantial
performance benefits when, for example, trying to show that two
complicated  expressions are equal but of course there is also a
price, which is that it is hard to have an analogue of convert. The
other program takes a different approach but I am suspect there is
also a price that has to be paid for that.

Andrzej Kozlowski