Reproducing a hash code

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg82963] Reproducing a hash code
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve at>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 05:00:00 -0500 (EST)

I am trying to get results from Mathematica's Hash function (for hash type
"MD5") that are consistent with the results obtained using "openssl md5" in

The particular example I would like to reproduce is on, where

"Hello, Avatar!:0"

hashes to (for hash type "MD5")

In Mathematica 6 (Windows Vista, Intel hardware), doing the obvious

Hash["Hello, Avatar!:0", "MD5"] // BaseForm[#, 16] &

I get the following result

This is not the same as expected. Does anyone know how to get consistent

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK