Re: Plot boundaries not respected

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82996] Re: Plot boundaries not respected
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 03:45:58 -0500 (EST)

On 11/5/07 at 5:06 AM, bert.aertsx at advalvasx.be (Bert Aerts (rm x))
wrote:

>When I type the following in Mathematica 6.0.1 Linux x86_64 version
>Plot[Exp[x], {x, -10, 2}] I get a plot to y-axis value 2.2 in stead
>of Exp[2]=7.4 Why are the plot boundaries not respected?

Mathematica defaults to displaying what it considers the
interesting aspects of a plot for all plots. You can over ride
Mathematica's default behavior by including a PlotRange->All
directive in your plot command.

Often the default behavior is more informative than what you get
by including a PlotRange->All directive.

=46or example, compare the results of

Plot[Exp[x] + Sin[x], {x, -10, 5}]

with

Plot[Exp[x] + Sin[x], {x, -10, 5},PlotRange->All]

The default shows the oscillation that occurs for negative x
while the oscillation is virtually invisible when forcing the
plot to include the entire plot range.