Memory requirements in Mathematica 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83018] Memory requirements in Mathematica 6
  • From: "Michael Weyrauch" <michael.weyrauch at gmx.de>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 06:37:36 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

   some years back we solved a problem using Mathematica 3 using
essentially a simple one line algorithm, which however used up nearly all the
4 GB of memory on our Unix workstation. But it worked...

Now with Mathematica 6 this very same program on a Linux 64 bit
workstation with 32 GB memory does not run any more. The memory the
Mathematica kernel demands just exceeds what is available, and the kernel quits (or worse, it
shuts down the entire machine and we are in for a reboot. The latter effect just
may be poor process  management on the side of our Linux kernel, which is not the issue here.)

I just wonder if it is really possible that the internal storage requirements of Mathematica 6
in order to store expressions have so drastically increased (relative to version 3) that
the effect described above can be explained. Does anyone have similar observations
with  Mathematica 6?  Any other ideas or suggestions?  (Of course, tricks like Share[] have already been tried.)

Thanks for any hint....

Michael