Re: negative FileByteCount

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg83081] Re: negative FileByteCount
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 03:38:09 -0500 (EST)

rych wrote:
> Is there a maximum file size permitted in Mathematica? Because it
> seems I can't work with my 3GB file,
> In[1]:= FileByteCount[""]
> Out[1]= -936210076
> snum = OpenRead[""]
> Read[snum, Number]
> Out[]=EndOfFile
> If not Mathematica, where should I bring files big like this (which
> are xyz point cloud data, need to denoise/detrend, perhaps via a
> wavelet decomposition or other multiresolution analysis)
That is obviously a bug - I presume the calculation is done internally
with a 32-bit integer. I suggest you report it to Wolfram support.

The limit is almost certainly 2^31-1 (the largest 32-bit integer), so if
you can accommodate that size my guess is that you will be OK, failing
that you could read the data in via Java using the J/Link package.

David Bailey