Re: Single most useful dynamic/interactive capability in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83083] Re: Single most useful dynamic/interactive capability in Mathematica?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 03:39:10 -0500 (EST)

In article <fh1bvb$b84$1 at smc.vnet.net>, David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 8, 6:18 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Q.   What would be _the_ single _most useful_ dynamic or interactive
> >       capability that might be added to Mathematica?
> >
> > A.   The ability to sort an already completed and displayed table on
> >       any column, simply by clicking on the top of that column, as one
> >       can do on the columns of Finder windows in List view in the Mac.
> Hi,
>

> So, I think my point here is that it is unnecessary to "add features"
> of this sort to Mathematica; the set of tools to create them is all
> there.

Thanks, I do understand that -- but it's also the case that Mathematica
does come with certain semi-universally-standard and heavily used "point
and click" interactive tools (aka "features") built into the Front End
-- for example, the ability to select an entire word in a notebook by
dbl-clicking anywhere in it, or the new interactive graphics editing
tools, which appear to be very "Illustrator-like".

So I guess I'm posting a vote that this kind of point-and-click table
sorting capability would be widely useful enough that it ought to be
very high on the list of future built-in features to be added (or anyway
considered).