Re: trying to "simplify" very large output

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg83096] Re: [mg83058] trying to "simplify" very large output
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 03:45:51 -0500 (EST)

Basjsmit wrote:
> Dear Reader,
> When I used Mathematica to solve a certain expression, the output was
> extremely large, somewhere around 10 000 characters. When I looked more
> closely at the output, I noticed certain frases kept repeating. I havent
> found anything in the help, but Im wondering if there is a function that can
> replace those frases with a variable and set that variable once. An example:
> t-> -(y z-v x Cos[k]^2-v x Sin[k]^2)/(z^2-x^2 Cos[k]^2-x^2 Sin[k]^2)-1/2
> \[Sqrt]((4 (y z-v x Cos[k]^2-v x Sin[k]^2) ........
> becomes:
> A = y z-v x Cos[k]^2-v x Sin[k]^2
> B = z^2-x^2 Cos[k]^2-x^2 Sin[k]^2
> t-> -A / B -1/2 \[Sqrt]((4 A ........
> Thanks in advance, Bas
> PS: just curious, is there a name for the proces I described above?

It is usually referred to as common subexpression elimination (cse).
Quite coincidently this same question came my way yesterday. Mathematica
has some functionality for this in Experimental` context, thus it is a
bit hidden (unfortunately, I should add). Here are some URLs to prior
threads that indicate usage.

Whether the functionality in Experimental`OptimizeExpression will help
for your particular type of examples might depend on option settings,
etc. so you'll probably need to experiment.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research