Re: Minimizing Mathematica file size for source code control?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83278] Re: Minimizing Mathematica file size for source code control?
  • From: Albert <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:42:27 -0500 (EST)

Gordon Robertson wrote:
> I'm relatively new to Mathematica v6. I want to start to commit
> notebooks to an SVN source code repository. Many of my notebooks
> contain imported files and plots generated from the files; such
> notebooks are often larger than 20MB.
>
> Because I will/can regenerate data imports and plots when I next run the
> notebook, it should be possible to routinely reduce the file size by
> removing these data from the notebook, so that notebooks can be comfortably
> submitted to source control.
>
> Could I ask more experienced Mathematica users for comments on how to address SCC?

A simple way to get rid of most of the recalculable large output is by
using the 'Cell' -> 'Delete All Output' menu-entry. I use it all the
time and while a little inconvenient it is good enough to reduce
notebooks to a size easily handled by subversion. There is also a perl
script that was originally written for an older mathematica version and
rcs/cvs which does clean up image-caches and other things and can be run
on the server side. It would need some understanding of how to install
checkin-scripts on svn to get it run with svn but should not be terrible
complicated. I don't know if that script is still maintained and whether
there are problems with v6 and have no experience on how reliable this
works. Here is a link to it's website:

http://www.itwm.fhg.de/as/asemployees/wichmann/nbcache.html

hth,

albert