Re: memory release problem in mathematica6.0

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg83317] Re: memory release problem in mathematica6.0
  • From: Nacho <ncc1701zzz at>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 05:26:11 -0500 (EST)

I think that your confusion is because Mathematica also saves a copy
of the results in the Out[] array. Every operation is saved, so you
can recall any previous output (and input). It is saved even if you
use ; to discard the output.

I have found that when working with bif data sets or a lot of time,
the memory consumption is bigger and bigger.

You can limit the amount of history length with the variable

For example, if the first execution you do in Mathematica is

only the 2 last results will be saved.

You can disable all the output history with $HistoryLength=0 but then
you cannot use % to call the previous result.

with $HistoryLength=0 you can run a = RandomInteger[10, 10000000];
Clear[a] as much as you want, but the memory is increased just the
first time,

Hope this help.