Get list of function variables?

Mathematica offers many ways to assign values to symbols, but if we
restrict attention to DownValues (look it up), then solutions are
indeed simple. First let's add a two more examples illustrating very
common definitions

f[w_Real, x_Integer, y_String, z_List] := "whatever"
   (* overload f with a second set of arguments *)

g[3, 4] := "bingo!"
   (* add a definition specific to particular values of arguments *)

Then one solution is

getVariables[f_] :=  Map[ReleaseHold, Apply[List, DownValues[f][[All,

Parsing this from inside out, it says
(1) Grab the list of left members of DownValues of f.
(2) Reach inside the HoldPattern and replace f[args] with List[args].
(3) Release HoldPattern.

Note that arguments are generally patterns ("x_", "w_Real", etc.) but
can be specific symbols ("3","4"), and that this version of
getVariables retains this distinction. If you don't care to see this,
you can easily strip these off:

getVariables2[f_] := getVariables[f] /. p_Pattern :> First[p]